Tuesday, August 7, 2012

I'm Jealous!



Today is the first day of school in Rochester, Indiana, I'm not there and I'm jealous.

I love the days leading up to the start of school, the excitement of new staff, new projects, new students, new relationships with families. There is nothing like the first day of school, the long parent drop off line, students & greeting each other with shouts, fist bumps & hugs as they climb off the buses.

I've been "out of the classroom" for some time now, the past 5 years I worked with technology integration for our whole district, but I always found a way to be at one of the buildings for the first day of school. Although I love the sweetness of day one at the Pre-K- 5 buildings, it was actually just as fun for me to be at the middle or high school. I could still absorb that wonderful energy & excitement simply by being in the building, helping students find lockers, classrooms and lending a hand where ever it was needed.

Last year and now this year, I am at home on the first day of school. Don't get me wrong I love what I do now with New Tech Network , I love connecting schools, people and resources, but I miss the first day.

I know, I know, it isn't all sweetness & light all year long, there are hurdles, there are frustrations and set backs,  but every single day teachers can make a difference and it begins with day 1.

Albert Einstein said, "It is the supreme art of the teacher to awaken joy in creative expression and knowledge."

So,enjoy day one my friends & colleagues, awaken that joy for yourselves & your students.  I'm jealous!




No comments:

Post a Comment